Thursday, August 13, 2009

Observations

There are a lot of billboards for "Dentures in One Day!", adult bookstores and Jesus in Missouri. And usually the latter two are found in close proximity.

The oil drilling things in the fields of Texas look a lot like those drinking bird things that your grandma or cousin or neighbor had in the mid 70s. You remember them, they'd dunk down, get a drink and pop back up ... over and over again. The only difference is that the oil drilling things look more like TRexes instead of birds.

The shower at the Petro in Joplin MO is the best of the trip, by far.

Yesterday was a lloooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggg day. Once we actually stopped for the night and went to get something to eat, I felt like I was still moving. You know that feeling when you've been swimming or boating for a long time and go to bed ... you still feel like you're floating on the waves? Same thing. As I sat there, I had to fight my body's urge to lean forward, if that makes sense.

The Guadalupe Mountains are beautiful.

Much of Texas is ugly. It's a relief to be back in MO and see green and trees instead of dirt and scrubby bushes. Just feels better on your eyes.

I have knots on my head from bumping it so many times as I climb in and out of the truck door and back and forth from the sleeper to the seat.

Truck drivers wave at each other as they go down the road ... both when they're meeting oncoming traffic and as they pass each other on the interstate. It's a club and the rest of us just aren't in it.

I bought John M a present today. He's going to love it.

You should see what qualifies as an "RV Park!" in TX and NM. Literally, it's a gravel parking lot with a chain link fence around it, right next to the interstate. I'm not sure who thinks that's a vacation (Oh boy, let's go sit in the baking sun and watch noisy traffic .... and there isn't a town for hundreds of miles!) Giddy up.

No comments: