Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Oddball Favorite Things

Here are a few things I just can't get enough of right now.

1. Famous Dave's Spicy Pickle Chips: Seriously, have you tried these? I bought an enormous jar at Woodman's and it's gone, people. Gone! I ate them all. They're crunchy and sweet and sour and spicy and so very good. I'm blaming Lorri and Dion for this addiction, since I first discovered them as their house. My addiction is so bad, that I'm buying ordinary cucumbers, cutting them up and tossing them in the remaining liquid just so I can eat more.

2. Fresh berries mixed with cottage cheese: Yup. It's a great breakfast, a pretty good dessert and a nice snack. Plop some cottage cheese in a bowl, mash in some raspberries or blackberries, hit it with a shot of vanilla and a dash of fake or real sugar. Filling, protein-ish, sweet and satisfying.

3. Slippers: Fall is here and I refuse to turn on the heat. So slippers and my fireplace have to do the warming duties when it gets chilly. I prefer the bootie style (vs. the open back/slide in type) and I don't like a big, ol' hard, clunky sole.

4. Brussel sprouts: I think I've waxed on about these delicious little cabbages before. I just put them in a bowl, cover with a little plastic wrap and nuke. Add a bit of butter and some salt and pepper and I'm good to go. Yum!

5. Pickled beets: I'm a recent convert to the delightfulness of this lovely concoction. My favorites are made by Bushel & Peck's Market in Beloit ... so freaking good!!! But the grocery store brands will do in a pinch. Add them to spinach, a little blue cheese, a few walnuts and a raspberry vinaigrette and life is good!

No comments: