Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Some Runs Are Good for the Soul

Saturday was a good day. A really good day.

It was a day I couldn't have imagined a few years ago and a day for which I give thanks--on my knees--at night.

Here's how it went:

I woke up, hit my treadmill and knocked out 3 fast-paced (for me) miles. I lifted, focusing on tris, bis and shoulders.

Then I ran to help my husband remove some big, ol' branches overhanging my in-laws' roof. Kati and Cassie were there, too, and it took four of us, ropes, ladders perched in precarious situations, chainsaws in one hand, crawling around on the roof with wet slippery leaves to get it all done. I didn't do any of the dangerous stuff, mind you. I mostly hauled branches and logs back and forth to the trailer and shouted words of warning, like a good mom/wife.

The day was beautiful and it was going to get better.

At that point, it was time to head home to shower and drive to Madison for the Haunted Hustle. Yes, I showered -- and did my hair -- to go to a run. If you know me, you know how ridiculous that is. But I suspected there might be Facebook photos, so I prepared appropriately.

We had ample time to get our packets and get situated. We lined up and took off with hundreds of other people and then it happened ...

Nirvana set in.

The running was easy, effortless and perfect. I was enjoying every step, really enjoying it. Not getting through it. Not pushing ahead. Our pace wasn't going to win us a medal, but I'm sure I don't care. It felt so good to just be running as if my body was born to do it.

I could have gone 10 miles. Or for 10 days. And I admit that part of me wanted to take the turn for the 10K,

But I was there for a different reason. I was there to finish a goal of my own. I wanted to see my friend cross that finish line with confidence.

And she did.

The only thing better than doing it yourself for the first time is being there when someone else does it for the first time.

I just couldn't stop grinning. My endorphins were surging. I made a mental note to look around and soak up the movie playing in front of me. Warm sun, cold beer, funny costumes, great band, giggling kids ... it was just perfect.

My only wish? That I'd started on this journey so much earlier in my life so I could have gotten so many more of these perfect runs and perfect days in.

Life is too short to not start today, kids!

Then, last but certainly not least, I hopped in my car and drove to the home of dear friends. Jim was already there and so was a delicious Thanksgiving-like meal. After an essentially perfect day, I was treated to an essentially perfect night filled with laughter, love ...

... and birthday cake!

I'm a lucky girl.

No comments: