Thursday, February 26, 2015

Cowabunga Calf Care

Don't you love it when your muscles hurt the day after a workout?

It's a good pain ... letting you know that you did just enough to have a beneficial effect, but not so much that you can't get out of bed. It's a weird perversion for me, quite honestly. When I find the place/position that hurts the most, I take great pleasure in poking at it or moving just right to feel that little stab of soreness.

Admit it. You do it, too.

Yesterday I worked my calves. And all day today, I found ways to flex and stretch so that I could feel that twinge.

It's sick, right?

Calf Raises
In a perfect world, you have a board ... like a 1 x 4 ... placed flat on the floor. It's just something that allows you to get your toes slightly higher than your heels.

Place the balls of your feet square on the board, feet hip width apart, toes pointing straight forward. With weights in your hands, arms hanging straight down at your side, get up on your tippy toes, squeezing your calves at the top. Slowly and in a controlled way, lower your heels back down. Repeat 15 times.

Then, turn your toes outward, moving your heels closer together, so your feet now make a "V" shape. Raise and lower again, squeezing your calf muscles at the top of each rep. Repeat 15 times.

Lastly, turn your toes inward, pidgeon-toed. Raise and lower, squeezing at the top of each rep. Repeat 15 times.

By placing your feet in three different positions, you work slightly different parts of the muscle. I use 20 lb. weights, but you don't have to use any if you don't want to.

I am TOTALLY sure these symbols mean,
"Ouch, my calf hurts. But I like it."
 



No comments: