Thursday, February 12, 2015

Explaining Endorphins to My Mother

I've talked before about how my mom walks every day. Usually twice around the block, for an admirable 2 miles.

She's about to turn 73 (and doesn't have a computer, so she'll never know I shared this information publicly) and opts for the "uphill" route. Because she's tough. It's a pretty decent hill, too.

The winter presents a challenge, of course. Snow, ice and cold are obvious issues. Because she lives on her own, she's very careful about being careful ... and does nothing that could end up with her falling. As such, she doesn't get to make her trek every day during the worst of the season. She tries to hit her treadmill, but absolutely hates it. So on the days it's just too miserable or unsafe to pound the pavement, she doesn't get her walk in.

She and I had some business to take care of this morning and we spent a little time in the car. The sun was beating in the windows, making it seem much warmer than it really was.

The sunshine reminded her of Monday. Remember Monday when it was warm and sunny?

"Oooooh! It was so nice out! I went out for my walk and it was warm and the sun was shining," she said, her fists shaking up near her shoulders in excitement. "I just felt so good when I got done! So good! Everything was just perfect!"

"It just feels so good to move. My body just needs to move," she said. She was smiling from ear to ear and all but bouncing up and down in the front passenger seat ... like a little kid, all full of energy just remembering it.

"That's the endorphins kicking in, Mom," I said.

"What's endorphins?" she asked.

"You know, those chemicals in your body that get released when you feel good. Little bursts that go from your muscles to your brain and back again to make you feel good all over," I said. And then I hesitate. On the tip of my tongue is this sentence:

"Like after sex."

But I can't say it. It's my mom.

"Ach," comes her German heritage. "Whatever you say," she responds dismissively as she does whenever she thinks I'm patronizing her.

And then the subject changes. Thank goodness.


No comments: