Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Vacation Plan

Jim and I are less than a week away from the biggest vacation we've ever taken.

We're heading to Alaska for two weeks of adventure. (I'm telling you this because I trust you to not break into my house while I'm gone. The alarm will be activated and the neighbors have guns ... just sayin'.)

We'll do a week on a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska, with stops in Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, Glacier Bay, College Fjord. We get off the boat in Whittier and travel by train to Mount McKinley for a couple days and then move to Denali National Park for a couple more before winding up in Fairbanks.

I'm terrified of being contained in a floating all-day buffet. I'm concerned that one of the best ways to explore new surroundings is to eat your way through the experience. I'm struggling enough right now with eating too much as it is and, simply put, vacation presents a challenge.

You may remember my first vacation in my new body. (See the posts from February 2011 ... like this one: http://carsickcaravan.blogspot.com/2011/02/igualito-tito.html) I was pleasantly surprised that I could maintain my new weight by making sure I got a workout in each day and by eating mindfully. It worked. I didn't gain anything.

I've since gotten pretty lax on my eating. I actually exercise more now than I did then (farther, faster). But I still worry.

So as a countermeasure, I have booked a bunch of high activity excursions. These are things designed to keep us moving and burning calories so we CAN eat our way through Alaska.

We're going to sea kayak. And bike ride. Pan for gold. Take a helicopter to a glacier. We're going to ride horses and ATVs. Plus, the ship and both resorts have exercise facilities.

I sure hope it's enough. I'm also happy smoked salmon is good for me.

Willing to bet we'll hit lots of cloudy days and not so many
bright sunny ones like this, but I'm going to hold out hope. 

No comments: