Monday, July 28, 2014

Columbus, Magellan, Lewis & Clark, Hillary and Now ... Miss Daisy

OK, just for fun, can you match the famous explorer with their very important discovery? 

Explorer
Christopher Columbus
Ferdinand Magellan
Meriwether Lewis & William Clark
Sir Edmund Hillary
Miss Daisy

Famous Discovery
The American West
First to climb Mt. Everest and first man to see the peak of Everest, the North Pole and the South Pole
Milton WI, via bike trail
First to circumnavigate the seas from the Atlantic Ocean and cross the Pacific Ocean
The New World, aka America

I set out today to find a way to get from my house to Milton via a bike trail. It doesn't sound that complicated, does it? Surely there's a map of the Rock County trail system, you're thinking. Well, I found a few online and couldn't read a single one of them. 

So I set out with a protein bar in my bike bag and two full water bottles to blaze my own trail. 

Let's just say it's a good thing I wasn't in charge of the Nina, the Pinta or the Santa Maria. 

Problem 1: Holy headwind! Straight out of the north. This would have been a better day for an east-west route. 

Problem 2: My hunt-and-peck search for the trail I could SEE from the Highway 26 bypass between Janesville and Milton failed me. I made it to the overhead pedestrian/bike bridge by Frank Boucher easily enough, but didn't know where to go after that. So I ended up just taking County Y all the way to Milton. No bike lane and 55 mph traffic. Bad choice. 

However, once I got to Milton, I knew what to do. I knew that if I got to the roundabouts at the Highway 59 intersection, there was an entry to the trail there. 

And what a great little trail it is! So pretty.


All in all, I think I got about 47 total miles in. It took me 3.5 hours to navigate it, and that was enough for one day. My old friends Christopher, Ferdinand and Edmund would not be impressed with my dedication or endurance, either.

No comments: