Wednesday, March 11, 2015

No, Please Don't Move the Printer!

My new office is small. Really small.

There are five of us in it, a front room, back room, counter top/20-year-old microwave/dorm fridge area and a bathroom. Single seat.

It's in an old building downtown on the second floor. Per ADA rules, there is an elevator, but I have yet to find it. Oh, and two public parking lots, one out front and one out back, but neither is too far away.

Therein lies the problem. Other than a flight of stairs, I don't get any actual movement in during the day. My Fitbit is horribly bored. Maybe even disappointed.

The bathroom is literally 15 paces away from my desk, and the copier is 16. The shared printer and fax machine? A whopping 7 at best. As such, there's just not a lot of opportunity to rack up the steps.

So today, someone speaks up in our staff meeting. "The printer in the back room isn't currently networked to any of our computers ... there's something wrong with the wireless dealio ... they can't get it to work. But you could directly connect it to your computer if you'd like to have it in your office," she says, in an effort to be gracious and helpful.

I laugh. "Good Lawd! If I had a printer inside my office, I'd even never stand up during the day!"

Those everyday steps matter. They add up. While a close parking lot is a nice thing when the wind is blowing the icy snow in your face, it can also be a huge detriment for your butt.

No comments: