Sunday, March 15, 2015

See Ya Later, Slog!

Long run Sunday was a bit different this week because for the first time since last fall, I ran outside. 

And, I gotta tell you ... I was a little nervous. 

You see, I've gotten used to my controlled basement environment. I know exactly what to expect and I'm comfortable there. The temperature is always perfect. There's no wind. I have a bathroom close-by. If I run our of my Rehydrate/Spark mix, I just go get more. The belt of my treadmill moves under me as I watch whatever crap TV that holds my attention. 

I was a bit worried that I wasn't ready to run outside again, that it would be harder than what I was now accustomed to. I was afraid my knees wouldn't take the pounding on the pavement and that the hills were going to kill me. 

Most importantly, after last week's disastrous slog of 11 miles, I also thought that I just not might be able to get the distance done. 

I'm happy to report that I worried for no reason. 

Yes, it was sort of windy. Yes, it was actually a bit chilly this morning and I wasn't dressed quite right. Yes, I picked a fairly hilly route. 

And yes, I actually had to make a detour home for a pit stop (no place to hide in tilled farm fields!). 

But I got it done. Without walking. Not even on the hills. 

I mapped it when I got home. Map My Run said it was just shy of 10 miles, though my FitBit said it was more like 10.5. (And my Fitbit usually reads less than my treadmill ... so who knows what's really right?) 

In any case, I made it! The slog is gone and I felt strong through the whole distance. I actually sort of enjoyed the hills and I didn't need as much water as I thought I was going to. 

That's a win, regardless of the distance. 

Umm, yeah, this is JUST what I looked like today. LOL.
Except I had three layers on, a crazy headband and my hair
was sticking straight out from my head ... well, until I sweat
so much it was plastered to my scalp. 

No comments: