Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I Spit It Out

I'm on Day 3 of a 13-day lean/clean eating reset.

That means my portions, food choices and eating times are extremely regimented. I've got my measuring cups out, to make sure I'm sticking to the plan. One 4-oz. serving of protein at each meal. A quarter-cup of raw nuts at snack time. One cup of veg on "burn" days to go with the protein and a serving of complex carbs on "fuel" days. (That's 1/2 cup of brown rice, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of beans or 1 sweet potato, if you're keeping score at home.)

The good news is that it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Yet.

The hard part is that it's not entirely a habit yet ... this not nibbling all day long.

Case in point:

Today, I was trying to get an assortment of Christmas goodies together for my daughter to take home ... as in getting it out of MY house! First I piled in some cut-out cookies. Then I added some gingerbread men.

Last, but not least, it was the mint brownies turn. As I was putting the last one in, a chunk of the Andes Candies that was on top fell off. Instinctively, I picked it up off the counter and popped it in my mouth.

The second the chocolate-minty goodness hit my tongue, my brain kicked in and the sirens in my head went off.

Just as quickly as it went it, I spit it out with the force of a Howitzer.

And then I was proud of myself. A commitment is a commitment, right?

Some days it's the small victories that matter. They also eventually add up to the big ones.


No comments: