Saturday, December 20, 2014

What I'm Going to Eat Tomorrow

I'm starting to fantasize about what I'm going to eat tomorrow.

After 13 days in food exile, the thought of cramming anything I want in my pie hole is intoxicating.

Here's what I want:

  • Half of the box of chocolates that are under the tree
  • A giant gingerbread man
  • Popcorn
  • Brie and havarti on crackers
  • Peanut butter on a toasted Sandwich Thin
  • A 6-pack of Cherry Coke Zero ... with a shot or two of Southern Comfort thrown in for a nightcap

Not yet sure if I'll actually eat all of that. Maybe it would be smarter to have one thing a day?

I'm happy to say I truly followed the Lean in 13 rules almost to the letter. Yesterday, my timing was off because our schedule had to be adjusted for reasons more important than my goofy eating reset. And today, I started off kilter for the very same reason.

But for 95% of the time, I can say with certainty that I gave it my best effort and I am glad I did. I proved to myself that I can put myself and my health first and I can right the ship when it goes off course.

I also proved that I feel good when I eat clean and that I can lose weight by doing so. Good lessons.

It was also a good way to force myself to think about food as fuel vs. pleasure. What my body needs vs. what it wants. There is a big difference and I think there may be a post on that coming up. It's a very tough concept for me.

However, it isn't realistic for me to live this way, day in and day out. First of all, it's probably not enough food for a much longer haul. There's also not enough variety for my personal tastes. (Don't expect to see me eating a handful of nuts anytime soon! I'm over it.) And let's be real ... I don't really want to live in a world where there's no chocolate for 13 days.

I do think that some version of this will become a part of my routine, though. The good stuff? It got me off sugar for almost two whole weeks. It took all unhealthy fat out of my diet. It really cut the salt intake. And it put a healthy, balanced curb on the carbs.

The good news is I can take what I love about the Mediterranean Food Pyramid (variety, almost unlimited fresh produce) and combine it with the occasional "restriction" of Lean in 13 and come up with something that works. Live day-to-day on Med, rein in with Lean and then indulge purposefully and thoughtfully ... infrequently.



No comments: