Friday, November 12, 2010

Footloose? Maybe. Fly Girl? Not.

A friend had recommended Wii's Just Dance as a good party game. Have a few drinks and let people try to shake their behind to MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." The first day I brought it home, the girls tried it and I laughed so hard I cried. It's hysterical ... with or without beer. (For me, not them.)

Since I wasn't running or walking, I had to figure out what to do to get some exercise. I was using hand weights on the couch, but that wasn't enough. I started doing sit-ups on an exercise ball, too. But again, not too aerobic.

So I fired up the Wii and thought I could at least do the arm motions to work up a small sweat.

And I danced my ass off, to quote that TV show.

I started slowly, shakin' my moneymaker just a little. I eventually started marching in place while doing the arm movements, so as to not put too much stress on my knee. Then I picked up the pace. Sometimes I followed the dances as the Wii gods intended and sometimes I made up my own 1980's-Jane-Fonda-areobics-like moves.

Had. A. Ball.

Cracked myself up when I caught my reflection in the patio doors. No one would ever confuse me with Jennifer Lopez or any other Fly Girl.

Knee hurting? More arms, less marching. And then I bought Gold's Gym Cardio. It's boxing. And FUN.

I jab. I hook. I uppercut. And I sweat.

What's the lesson? During this whole ordeal, I learn that I can still lose weight as long as I eat right and move SOME. I don't HAVE to run 5 miles a day to be successful.

Thank God.

No comments: