Wednesday, November 24, 2010

BYO ... Whatever

One of the things my mom has asked to to bring tomorrow is a salad. So I'm bringing one that tastes good, looks good and is pretty good for you. It's a great strategy for potlucks and holidays.

A couple of years ago, we invited some people over for the first of what was to become the annual AirFest Party at our house. At the time, our house wasn't finished ... we had drywall, electrical, a deck and cupboards in boxes. But no plumbing. We set up some tables in what would be the living room, plugged in a crockpot full of pre-grilled brats and opened the cooler. Voila! Instant party.

One of my friends brought her own turkey dog to throw in the crockpot. At the time, I thought it was a little weird. I mean, it was one meal. Did it really make that big of a difference to eat a turkey dog versus a regular brat?

Now I know what she was talking about. (And I've since learned a great deal about this weight loss thing from her.)

It does matter. Not sure if there's going to be something there for you to eat? Bring your own.

Greek Salad
1 red onion, chopped
1 container of cherry tomatoes (I usually cut the bigger ones in half)
1 can medium black olives
2 English/seedless cucumbers, chopped
1 container fat free Feta cheese crumbles
1/2 bottle of light Greek dressing (my store only has one brand that is light)

Mix it all up the night before serving.

No comments: