Saturday, November 20, 2010

Weekends are Hard

I'm sitting here, still full from breakfast ... and all the taste testing that happened during breakfast preparation ... and I'm sort of dreading the second half of the opening day tradition.

Dinner at the neighbors.

I'm not dreading it because I think my neighbor is a bad cook. (Quite the contrary, actually!) I'm dreading it because I really should eat some raw veggies and a fake buffalo chicken pattie and call it a day.

For reasons like this, I find the weekends hard.

There's always something going on that involves eating, like Friday night fish fry or a Badger/Packer get together with popcorn and taco dip. Or, maybe worse, there's nothing going on and you're sitting at home as the pantry and fridge call your name.

It takes all I have to not snack all day long.

I try to get my workout in early, so that no matter what else happens, I know I have minimized the impact. Then I try to stay busy.

In the summer, it's easier to be outside doing something. And there's always housework. Ugh. This time of year is a little harder.

My plan of action today was to head into town and run some errands. I'm not actually a big shopper, but I figure the mall keeps me off my rear end.

So, I ran to TJMaxx and Old Navy, parking as far away as I could to take advantage of the extra walk. I didn't exactly work up a sweat, but it was better than nothing.

It can be a little frustrating to be "good" all week long and make progress on the scale and then hold steady or even gain a pound back during the weekend.

I just remind myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint. That I'm doing the right things to meet my goal. That if I PLAN the weekend a little, I can make sure to do as little damage as possible.

Whew.

And now I have to go eat some chili. Wish me luck.

No comments: