Sunday, November 7, 2010

Half as Big, Twice as Nice

I bought two pair of size 10 pants yesterday on my way home from Milwaukee.

Two different brands ... so it's not like I found the biggest 10s in the store and doubled up while the going was good.

Size 10s.

The first pair of pants I ever bought outside of the children's department was a size 9. I remember them clearly ... forest green Wrangler corduroys from Copps Department Store in Fort. I was in junior high, I think. And I can't remember a time in my adult life where I wore a size 10. On an exercise kick a over a decade ago, I got down to a size 12 for about two weeks. But never a 10.

I am torn between thrilled and disbelieving.

Eight months ago I wore a size 20. And they were none too roomy.

I'm not too proud to admit I do a little "end zone dance" in the fitting room when these victories happen. In the mirror, I look myself very purposefully in the eye and smile.


Here's a "Top 10" favorite in our house. I try to have vegetarian days at least once, preferrably twice, a week. So we eat this morning, noon or night. Good protien and an easy go-to on meatless days.

Egg Substitute Scrambles
Chop up your favorite veggies, sautee in EVOO, then pour in some Egg Beaters or other egg substitute. Finish with cheese. I usually have a few different kinds of cheese on hand and some are reduced fat varieties. If I use "full fat" cheese, I just use less.

Favorite combinations:

  • Asparagus, portabello mushrooms, onions, tarragon and reduced fat Swiss cheese
  • Spinach (nuke the frozen, squeeze out all liquid), onions, white mushrooms, a spoonful or two of prepared pesto, parmesean
  • Red peppers, onions, turkey bacon (prefer Oscar Mayer brand), sharp cheddar

No comments: