Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Sister is HOT

Want to pick up a boring baked chicken breast? Give some scrambled egg beaters a little zip? Make a turkey burger a little more interesting?

Salsa is a wonder drug.

And my sister makes the best. I'm sharing her recipe, knowing I have probably bastardized it in some way in the 10 or 12 years I've been making it.

But that's the totally cool thing. You can make it however YOU like it. The recipe police are certainly not going to come arrest you.

Karla's Salsa
6-7 Roma tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 medium sized white onion
1-2 jalapeno or serrano peppers (whatever your produce dept has, seed or not depending on your capacity for heat)
2-3 pinch grabs of cilantro (I love cilantro and usually add more)
1-2 jalapenos from a small can of pickled jalapenos (in ethnic food aisle, packed in vinegar, the label usually shows the peppers with carrots and onions)
1-2 tsp of the vinegar "juice" from the can above
2-3 tsp salt
On hand, but perhaps not necessary: ketchup, sugar

Karla chops up the tomatoes and onions in a few pieces and adds everything to a blender, liquifying until no chunks remain. I usually keep half of the salt and half of the peppers out and, once blended, I adjust the salt and heat. (It takes more salt that you think.) Her salsa is smooth and tastes great spooned on anything. If the tomatoes aren't really ripe or in season, they may need a little boost. If so, I squirt in a little ketchup. And, even a pinch or two of sugar. Too hot? Add more tomatoes and taste and adjust.

Lisa's Pico de Gallo
Same ingredients as above, but I seed the tomatoes and only put half in the blender. Also only put half of the onion in the blender. Chop the remaining tomatoes and onions and add back to the mix when you're done blending. Just makes it a little chunkier.

Lisa's Summer Salsa
Same ingredients as above, made like Pico de Gallo, but add the following:
1 can white shoepeg corn or Niblet corn
1 can rinsed black beans
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
1 small red pepper, chopped
More jalapenos, if you like it that way.

Serve all with Baked Scoops chips. Or use like a relish/chutney over grilled meat or fish.

P.S. My sister is one of the coolest people in the world. Do you know how every once in a while you are reminded of things like this? Today was one of those days for me; hence, the ode to her salsa. It's true that your siblings are the people you know for the longest. I know I don't say it often enough, but I am very fortunate that I get to share this life's journey with her. (And I'm not saying this because she helped create the two beings that I love more than breath itself. Though, this does work in her favor.)

No comments: