Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Staples Save the Skinny

Didn't get home from work tonight until 7:30 p.m. My lunch had worn off long about 5:30 and I was starving. Jim had already eaten, so I poked my head in the fridge hoping to strike gold.

And, lo and behold, there was something decent to eat. A few somethings as a matter of fact. Which makes the issue of eating so late a little less daunting. I honestly try to NOT eat after 7ish if I can help it. But sometimes you just can't.

These items are staples in our house. By combining a couple of things, I can whip up a fast supper. Or, if I'm feeling lazy, I can just graze on a few individually and be satisfied.
  • Carrots
  • Cauliflower
  • Cheese (Low-fat string cheese and Weyauwega brand Diamond Marble ALWAYS on hand.)
  • Low-fat sour cream (Yes, we go through vats of this it seems) to make veggie dip and other things
  • Johnsonville brand turkey sausage (With or without cheese ... both have same fat grams ... feels like you're eating "more" than a turkey hot dog when wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.)
  • Cans of black beans and mushrooms
  • Baked Cheetos (Sometimes you just NEED a crunch and I can't tell the difference between these and regular.)
  • Fake eggs
  • Frozen broccoli
  • Assorted boxes of "steamers" frozen veg (No "sauce" or cheesy varieties, just straight veg.)
  • Walnuts or almonds
  • Low carb whole wheat tortillas (WARNING: some whole wheat torillas REALLY suck. Texture like sawdust. I like the La Banderita brand because it's palatable with a good balance of carb and fat.)
  • Rotisserie chicken (I buy them on sale, pick off the bone and freeze single servings in ziploc bags.)
  • Fake crab
  • Whole wheat spaghetti/rotini
  • Tuna packed in water (Jim likes those single serving pouches, tuna or salmon, but I think they look, smell and taste like cat food. I want Albacore in a can.)
  • Red peppers (More vitamin C in a pepper than in an orange, I heard!)
  • Apples
  • Light yogurt (LOVE the desert flavors like lemon meringue pie or chocolate/raspberry.)

And ...
A bag of Dove dark chocolate squares. Well, at least that's my choice of indulgence. Remember what Dr. Kidd said ... "You gotta live a little, too." One piece is only 40-ish calories and sometimes it's the best bite of the whole day. I nibble off the corners and let it melt on my tongue and enjoy every last second of it.

No comments: