Tuesday, May 6, 2014

She Laughed at Me

I like my PA. Her name is Melissa Jennerjohn and she laughed at me today.

She went to bat for me a few months ago when my insurance company decided they weren't going to pay for the last injections I had ... after I had gotten them. Said insurance company insisted that I should have had a series of other medicines that failed before I qualified for the Synvisc.

Melissa went to bat for me and told my insurance company that a) she had never used the medications they were requesting and therefore could not/would not use them and b) the Synvisc is what I needed, so why go through other medications to end up here ... wouldn't that cost more?

They told her, and me, to go pound sand.

So when I walked in today, first she apologized for not being able to win that round. I thanked her for trying.

And then she asked why I wanted the big shot vs. the three small ones. "Because if it's a matter of cost, it's the same either way," she said, knowing I was footing the bill for this one myself.

I laughed and said that it wasn't a matter of cost ... more a matter of convenience. I was trying to save two additional trips to Madison ... and ...

She said, "You have a race planned, don't you?"

"Well, yeah," I said.

"Like when? You're not going to tell me something crazy like a half marathon on Saturday, are you," she asked.

"Well, yeah," I said.

That's when she laughed at me. Shook her head, too.

She assured me that I did most certainly didn't want the big shot today if I planned on running 13.1 on Saturday. She also reminded me that running is probably not the best choice of exercise for me.

So I got the little one. And I have to go back two more times.

She doesn't know it, but she's now on YOUR team ... one more person who knows my plan and, because she does, will help me get through it.

This isn't my knee, (I had sexy blue Tyvek shorts on!), but this is
what it looks like. She did numb the outside first, which is nice. 


No comments: