Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sometimes You Just Gotta Jump

I'm unemployed again.

I resigned from my new job yesterday.

Yup. After 13 whole days in a new office, I handed a letter to my boss and turned in my keys.

Seriously, who does that? It was a good job. A really good job. I was given the authority, responsibility and support to essentially start a business from scratch for a stable, solid company that was willing to commit to the resources it took to get it up and running.

And although I wasn't sure at first of my ability to do it, I am now sure I could have been successful.

So I left?

Yes, because I got another offer. For a job I wanted more.

And here's the truth. The new job comes with a bit more risk ... young company poised to grow, but not yet firing on all cylinders. A little less up front with the possibility for a bit more down the road.

But it also comes with a devotion to work-life balance. A conscious effort to build an exciting and fulfilling culture. The promise of hard work ... and fun.

Or it could crash and burn.

It was a difficult decision, but I realized something important along the way.

Sometimes, you just gotta jump.

You can't always see or know what's going to happen on the other side. You can't predict the future.

You know there will be good things. And you can bet there will be bad things.

But you'll handle them ... or celebrate them ... as they come. Because that's what you do.

And, what's the real risk? If it doesn't work, you aren't any worse off than you are now. You'll adjust your course and keep going.

Sounds like a good way to approach your health and wellness, too, to me.

You have no idea what it's going to "be" like to change the way you eat or to exercise a bit more. You can't really see the other side from where you are.

But sometimes, you just gotta jump.

Start. The best way to start is to just start. Do one thing. Do something different. And decide you're going to do it today. And tomorrow.

Then do it.

Don't worry about the day after that or the week after that. Jump in and take the rest of it one step at a time.

Is there risk? Sure. Out of your comfort zone will always feel uncomfortable. Is it going to be hard? Probably. If it was easy, you'd already be done.

Is there reward?

Yes. There's reward.

Cute clothes. Compliments. Endorphins. Extra years. Self esteem and satisfaction.

Did I mention cute clothes? (Smile! That's not shallow. It's fun.)

If you're thinking about jumping, there's no better time than right now.

And tune in tomorrow to find out one of the oddest, yet most important, reasons I chose this job.


No comments: