Friday, January 2, 2015

Day of Only 1000 Steps: Listen to Your Body

Ever feel like you got hit by a truck?

I had one of those days yesterday. 

I felt it coming on at my 6:30 a.m. Circuits class on New Year's Eve. Something was off. My whole body ached and I just couldn't get it all going. I came home, got cooking/assembling my NYE appetizers, helped Jim build a few spreadsheets for 2015 and then eventually got around to a short 3-mile interval run. By 6 p.m., I was all in and my stomach was starting to feel queasy.

So, romantically, Jim fired up the grill to make one of the two steaks I'd picked up. The mere thought of it was too much for me to bear.

But, we had a party to go to, so I put on sparkly earrings and headed out. I even managed to eat a bit while I was there. My first drink was OK, but the second just didn't work. By 11, I was ready to go home.

I slept 8+ hours and woke up feeling perfectly awful.

So I listened to my body. It wanted rest. It did not want to eat. So that's what I did. Oh, I attempted a shower and tried to convince myself to go to my mom's for the Badger game, but it was not meant to be.

I went back to bed.  I eventually got an Advocare Meal Replacement Shake to stay down around 11 a.m. Then I napped and laid around some more. About 4 p.m., my stomach was starting to rumble from hungry, and all I wanted was a pancake. So Jim made me a waffle (from year-old waffle mix found in the back of the pantry ... calculated risk) ... close enough. And then I took another nap until it was time to go to bed at 8:30 p.m.

And I slept until 6:30 a.m. today.

I'm still not feeling 100%. But I feel 10x better than I did yesterday.

Maybe it was catch-up from the previous two weeks. Maybe I had a little 24-hour bug. Maybe it was none or both of those things. Who knows? The point is your body will tell you what's right.

The Fitbit progress report this week will show an epic "fail" for Thursday, at 1036 steps. But I will know that it was exactly what my body needed.


No comments: