Saturday, January 17, 2015

My GP and I Have an Inside Secret

Rarely does the idea of my annual physical exam give me the warm fuzzies.

Ladies, am I right? It's a necessary evil. It's uncomfortable.

It's even sort of hilarious if you can see it for what it is and imagine yourself as a fly on the wall during "the deed." (You, adamant about keeping your socks on as if they provide some sort of comfort when you nonchalantly throw your feet in metal stirrups. You and your doc pretending to have a casual conversation while he/she crams that plastic salad tongs up inside you. Me, wondering as I'm laying there, if my doc pictures me from this angle every time I see her socially. That all cracks me up. Sorry.)

But I left mine yesterday feeling on top of the world.

Why?

Well, for one, my weight was exactly where I thought it was going to be and I didn't get shorter. That means I didn't gain over the holidays. In fact, I lost a little. Plus, I know I'm at at age where I'm going to start losing quarter- or half-inches. It hasn't happened yet and I'm thrilled!

Secondly, my blood pressure was good. 124/76 to be exact. I know I tend to measure higher at the office, so I feel like I'm in a good spot there. Confirmation that what I'm doing is good and right.

Thirdly, I finally got my flu shot and was able to schedule some other routine tests. I'm due for a fasting cholesterol panel and a colonoscopy. My family history requires me to watch both closely. (My dad had colon cancer, so I'm on a 5-year rotation there and have already had it done twice. Call me if you want details. Ha!) It feels good to have those things on the books ... check them off the list!

Lastly, while my doc was poking around on my shoulder after I'd asked about a "catch" I've been battling, she pulls back and says, "I can tell you've been lifting weights. I feel muscles."

She made my day. While the whole world can't see them just yet because they are covered with a bit of "extra" at the moment, they are in there!

She knows. And I know. For now, that's enough.



No comments: