Monday, January 26, 2015

The Good, The Bad ... and the Yummy

First the Good ... -ish

A snowy day is a perfect day to bake cookies, right?

Well, yes, unless you really shouldn't be eating cookies. So I compromised. I made cookies with less butter than usual so I could call them healthy ... -er. Healthier.

For whatever reason, I have a pantry full of natural peanut butter. It's one of those things I buy because I'm afraid of running out, and then I end up with six jars of various sizes.

I'm not kidding. Six jars.

Original Peanut Butter Cookies: 
1 C butter
1 C peanut butter
1 C granulated sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
2-1/2 C flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Lisa's Wonder-If-This-Will-Work-Yup-It-Does Peanut Butter Cookies: 
2 Tablespoons butter plus enough Greek yogurt to equal 1 dry measuring cup total (approx 1.5 containers)
1 C natural chunky peanut butter
1 C granulated sugar
1 C brown sugar
2 eggs
2-1/2 C flour (plus a handful at the end if batter is too wet)
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Glug of hazelnut flavoring
Glug of vanilla

They spread a bit more than normal peanut butter cookies. And they don't hold the traditional criss-cross fork marks very well. I might cut back on the yogurt ... to .75 total cups maybe ... next time or add some more flour to stiffen the dough up a little. Or, maybe some chopped up peanuts. But they are tasty!

And Now, the Bad ... ish

What do you do with leftover Italian beef? I made some for a party a while back and had a couple of cups worth in the freezer. Last night, in a bout of laziness, I heated some of it up, grabbed some whole wheat tortillas and mozzarella and told Jim they were Italian burritos.

He bought it. I'm lucky he's easy.

But I STILL had some left over for tonight. And I knew I couldn't pull the burrito trick again. So I went way out on a limb and created this:

ITALIAN NACHOS!

And, man, they were delicious. Not diet food, to be sure, but great for Super Bowl Sunday, so I'm going to share it anyway. Not that I'm recommending this, but it would also be great drunk food. Like college guy after bar food. Think we could make a Food Network show with that kind of stuff? That would be so sweet!

Italian Nachos
Half bag of plain tortilla chips ... "baked" varieties a better choice
1 C leftover Italian beef
1 small can mushrooms
1/2 can artichoke hearts packed in water, chopped
1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon diced garlic
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Pecorino or Provolone cheese
Sprinkle of oregano

Spread chips on baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle on a light layer of moz and set aside. In a small sauce pan, heat up the beef, mushrooms, chopped artichoke hearts and garlic. Let most of the juice cook out. Drop/spread the meat mixture over the cheesed-up tortilla chips as evenly as possible. Grate a little pecorino/provolone over the top so when it melts, it kind of glues it all together. Sprinkle with oregano. Bake in 350-degree oven for a few minutes until everything is melted. Serve warm!


No comments: