Wednesday, January 14, 2015

"So, What's a Good Breakfast?"

"So, what's a good breakfast?" 

It's a question I get a lot. And one I'm not always comfortable answering. Not because I don't want to share, but because I'm not an expert. I'm not a registered dietitian. 

But I am someone who has tried a bunch of different ways to lose weight. I'm someone who has lost a lot of weight. I'm someone who has kept that weight off for a few years. 

I'm also someone who works out a lot, who loves to eat ... a lot ... and who pays attention to how food affects the way I feel and the way I perform. 

So maybe I'm an expert on ME and if you take these recommendations as that, and only that, I'll get comfortable with this. 

 ------------------------------------

I think breakfast needs to be about energy and staying power. If you ate right the day before, you should be hungry when you wake up. You need the energy (carbs) to help you attack your busy day and you need staying power (protein) to fuel your muscles and to help you get to your snack, which for me is about 2.5 hours after breakfast. 

The carbs are important, but need to work hard. So they have to be good carbs ... not white bread or white flour pancakes. Whole grain. Not multi grain. Not corn. If you work out in the morning, the carbs are your jet packs, giving you the zip to jump higher, run faster, walk farther. 

The protein is the cinderblock of your foundation. Protein makes sure your belly feels full long after you've eaten. It also sends reinforcement to your muscles, allowing them to continue building as you're breaking them down with an a.m. lifting routine or as you lift that bale and tote that barge at your job. 

So, finally, here are some sample breakfasts: 

1. Yogurt Mash-Up
1 container Greek vanilla yogurt, small handful of berries, 1/4 C all natural/homemade granola that's heavy on nuts/whole oats. 

2. PB & WWST
One 110-calorie whole wheat Sandwich Thin or Bagel Thin, toasted, and 1-2 Tbs all-natural peanut butter or nut butter. I may also add a clementine or small bunch of grapes to this, depending on my activity. 

3. Meal Replacement Shake
I usually have Advocare Vanilla on hand, but there are lots of brands to choose from. I prefer to make mine with a dash of vanilla extract and another of hazelnut extract, then I add a few ice cubes and whir it all up in one of those single-serving blender bottle things. Or I do vanilla and cinnamon. Every once in a while, I get crazy and throw in a handful of raspberries or blackberries. 

4. Fruit and Nuts
An apple/orange/pear and 1/4 C of nuts. I switch between almonds, walnuts and pistachios. The almonds and walnuts are the kind I use for baking ... no salt or flavoring because that adds so much sodium. But, the pistachios have to have salt for me! 

5. Eggs and Oats
I try to limit myself to two egg yolks a week, but that's not a hard and fast rule. However, I allow myself unlimited egg whites. I used to buy Egg Beaters. And then I wised up and said ... real eggs are a thousand times cheaper and all Egg Beaters are really just egg whites with yellow food coloring. So what if I throw away a few yolks? For breakfast, I fry one whole egg plus one more white in a spray of olive oil and then make 1/2 to 1 cup of old fashioned oats, made in the microwave with water and cinnamon. I will admit, however, to using four or even five egg whites if I'm super hungry! 

6. Egg Sammy
Same fried egg/s as above, piled high on 1/2 of a sandwich thin with a dash of Molly McButter Cheese Flavor Sprinkles or even pinch of grated real cheese. As an option, a piece of whole grain bread and half an avocado spread on it is also "popular" in the blogs/Pinterest/webosphere right now, though I haven't actually ever tried it. 

7. Protein Bar
In a pinch, this works, though I don't love it as an option and it's usually my last resort. There can be so much crap in these things! And sometimes they are so small that they don't satisfy my need to chew and EAT. Look at the ingredients list. Fewer is better. And the more "real food" in that list, and fewer chemicals, the better also. 

----------------------

One more note ... I prefer to work out before I eat. I can find 200 articles on the web on this subject and 100 say that's OK and 100 say that's bad. I don't care. I don't like food in my stomach when I'm running or whatever. The only problem is when I have a race at 9 a.m. or a RIPPED class at 8 a.m. ... it's too late to not eat before the start of those activities. On those days, I try to eat at least a full hour before I work out. And I keep it simple ... usually a shake or a PB & WWST. 



No comments: