Sunday, February 24, 2013

Burns, Boats and Buffets

Vacation is officially over.

(Hang on. I need to go sob in my pillow for a few minutes.)

Here's the recap:

Burns = too much sun. We arrived at the lovely Iberostar Dominicana in Punta Cana as the sun was setting on Sunday and hit the beach bright and early on Monday. I slathered up with SPF 12 and gave myself about 30 minutes in the bright light. I think that was about 15 minutes too much. I started peeling before we got on the plane to come home.

But it was still glorious. Someone said we were like solar-powered batteries in need of recharging and I can't agree more.

Boats = too much fun. There might have been a half-day excursion, billed primarily as a snorkeling trip.  And, there might have been very little actual snorkeling. And there might have been a "booze cruise" feeling to the return trip to shore. I am sure there was dancing. I am sure there was a LOT of rum. I am sure I peed in the ocean at least twice. And I'm sure my new friends from Fort Atkinson, Green Bay, Chicago and Oconomowoc will unfortunately remember my glorious wipeout on the deck (more on that later).

But it was still a complete and total BLAST. (Calling all kids of the 80s ... remember that turn of phrase?) Just for the record, I did officially swim in a cage with sharks and stingrays.

Buffets ... too much ton-nage. (See what I did there? Tried to rhyme sun and fun, but switched it up on the end.) I ate. I ate a lot. I ate bread and potatoes and dessert. I have not been brave enough to step on the scale and, quite honestly, have no plan to in the near future.

But it was vacation. And I enjoyed it.

Now, back to reality. Yuck.

Hope you had a great week, too.

No comments: