Monday, January 14, 2013

40 ... or 70

Chocolate.

I live for chocolate. 

I eat chocolate every single day. Sometimes three times a day. 

I know how much it "costs" me in calories. And I'm happy to make room for those calories in my daily intake by burning just a few more calories in my morning workout.

And I know that good eating wouldn't be possible for me without this one, simple, delicious reward.

I've told you before, that even when my eating was at the "strictest" ... when I was following my Mediterranean Pyramid to the letter ... I still enjoyed one Dove square a day. I savored it. I made eating it a ritual, nibbling at the corners, letting the silkiness melt over my tongue. I'm sure there are a million dieting books that say food should never be a reward, but I used it that way.

Doing so made me feel like I wasn't denying myself. That I wasn't "roughing it" so much. And knowing that helped me stay on course, stay in control.

Being healthier is about enjoying my life more, not less. Good eating allows me to enjoy the chocolate I love so much. There's a nice ying and yang to it all. 

One Dove Square: 40-ish calories.
One Ghiradelli Square: 70-ish calories.

My favorites? Dove Dark. Dove Dark with Caramel. Ghiradelli Pumpkin Spice. Ghiradelli Dark & Sea Salt Caramel.

You have to run approximately one mile to burn 100 calories. In my world, that's worth it.  

No comments: