Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Move Your Ass, Prevent Cancer?

I have been thinking about this all day and you know what that means.

You get to hear it.

I want to believe it. I want it to be true. I want to be able to prove it. So here it is.

This morning as I was rushing to get ready, this guy stopped me in my tracks:
CBS This Morning Interview with Dr. David Agus

He's a professor of medicine and engineering and wrote a book called, "The End of Illness." Today he was talking with Charlie Rose about the very small decline of cancer deaths in the US from the years 2000-2009.

The point of the story was that with all the amazing advances in early detection and treatment and all the money that goes into research, cancer deaths have fallen by less than 2% in 10 years. A measly 1.8% or something like that.

Dr. Agus said that is simply not enough of an improvement. I agree.

He said the trick isn't to cure cancer. But to prevent it. And he offered these solutions: Take a baby aspirin every day. Eat real food. And last, but  not least, MOVE YOUR ASS.

Well, he didn't say it like that, but he did say that not moving was as bad as smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. That even going to the gym for an hour every day doesn't cancel out the 8 hours a day we spend sitting ... at our desks, in front of the TV, etc. That if you want to be healthy, you've got to move.

I'm no doctor. And I'm not suggesting you follow his advice.

I'm just saying I like it.

No comments: