Friday, January 4, 2013

The Power of Walking

If you read yesterday's post, I hope you followed the link to Michael Moore's post about walking.

I think walking gets a bad rap every once in a while. It's not as flashy as running. Doesn't sound as sexy. "Yeah, I run ... I'm training to run a half marathon ... I ran 7 miles yesterday in that heat!" That sounds cool, right?

"I went for a walk," just doesn't sound as impressive.

But here's the thing about walking: Anyone can do it. You need NO equipment. It can be done anywhere ... on a treadmill, outside, in the mall, on the beach. You can do it alone, or you can do it with others. And did I mention that it's free?

What I think is the very best thing about walking is that it gives you time in your own space. It gives you time to think. To hear your own breath. To feel your heart beating and your feet hitting the pavement. It's so imminently doable. Achievable. Conquerable. It gives you the confidence to keep going, to keep trying.

It just makes you feel good. When you know you're doing something good for you, you FEEL GOOD. And when you feel good, you do better.

I think I've written this post before. (Accessible ExerciseJust WALK)  But I believe it so much that it's worth repeating.

Walk. Just walk.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Its also better for your body than running. I wear a heart rate monitor when I walk and still burn plenty of calories too!! Yay walking!

HR GIRL said...

I did follow the link and it was a great article and I love the premise of just getting out there to be out there.

Seth said...

My neurosurgeon, assigned the task of protecting and rehabilitating my spinal injuries ... insisted that I walk rather than make my back suffer through the impact and stress of running. In the lap pool, my assignment is to WALK laps in the pool rather than swim. It is the best exercise in the world .. and most natural.

Miss Daisy said...

Agreed, Seth! Hope your rehab is going well! (And I don't know if you're a regular reader or not, but I get passed in the lap pool by a " lap walker" ... if it's you, my hat is off!)