Monday, August 29, 2011

Accessible Exercise

On my way to work, I listen to Bob and Tom on the radio. I figure the day is going to be long and painful enough ... I might as well kick it off with a smile and giggle or two. No matter how low-brown sometimes.

The other day, a comedian was talking about getting in shape. Bob (or Tom or Chick or Kristie?) asked him what he was doing by way of exercise. He said he was walking.

You know, just walking. You can walk anywhere. When he travels, he can walk. When he's home, he can walk. And then he delightfully compared himself to white-haired old men with high socks, higher waistlines on sansabelt pants and mall walkers.

I laughed. But then I kind of felt bad for "Walking." Sometimes I think it gets a bad rap.

It's not exciting. It's not glamorous. It seems to me that "runners" snicker a little at it because it's not quite as cool. And occasionally I find myself almost apologizing for it.

But why? Walking is nearly perfect. You CAN do it anywhere. There's no equipment required and no membership to pay for. No matter what fitness level you're at, you can do it. You can adjust pace and distance as you're able. It's not hard on your body. You can do it for the rest of your life.

Best of all, in 40 minutes you can get a good workout and burn a decent amount of calories.

So hold your head high and hit the road. And if you have to do it in the mall, go right ahead. Pick up something cute for me while you're there.

2 comments:

marthamac said...

Saw your mom out on my walk tonight! She was walking up the hill in the 'old neighborhood' as I was making my second loop walking down the hill. I think I'll go her way tomorrow night! :)

Miss Daisy said...

I think she normally goes up the hill. And I think it's normally two loops. You could always high five if you're doing opposite loops!