Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Accidental Exercise

I didn't work out on my treadmill yesterday morning.

It's become, perhaps, a too-frequent Monday morning ritual. Or un-ritual? The weekends have been super busy, I don't get to bed at a reasonable hour Sunday night and then I'm worn out come five bells on Monday a.m. I find myself ignoring my internal clock and catching a few extra Zzzzs before the workweek officially starts.

But when I do this, I feel guilty and sluggish all day. And by the time I get home, my muscles are twitching for want of movement. And my brain is driving me crazy by chastising the rest of my body for being a lazy bones.

So last night, in an effort to make good from the skip, I decided to take a bike ride. My intent was to go around my "block" three times. I had been doing two circuits and figured I could add an extra one as self-imposed punishment.

I found it odd that the sun was high in the sky when I left, and setting when I returned. I guess Fall is coming faster than I want it to, I thought. The days are getting shorter.

And then I looked at the clock when I walked in the house. I had been on my bike for nearly two hours!

How could that be? I only went around the block three times. I must be a slow pedaler. I had the block pegged as about a five mile loop and two hours seemed like a looooooong time to go 15 miles. 

I clocked it on my way home from work tonight. Each loop is approximately 7.75 miles. Yeah. That's 23.5 miles. Twenty-three hilly, windy country miles, to be more descriptive.

Whoops. I guess I got a workout afterall.