Saturday, August 20, 2011

One Thing Leads to Another

Have you seen the TV commercial for some diet something that shows the same woman on a split screen, where on one side  she eats a salad and gets some exercise and, we assume, gets thinner and on the other side, she eats a donut, then some french fries and then sits on the couch? And, we assume, gets fatter. It opens with the line, "One good choice can lead to another."

I believe this. In fact, I have proof.

On the same note, I saw a story on CNN.com and it was re-reported on Channel 27 this morning about how you can "train your brain" to crave healthy foods. The point is that bad foods are a habit, and the more you eat them, the more you want them. If you replace them with fruits and veggies, your brain will eventually start to crave the good stuff.

I also believe this. And, again, I am my own living proof.

My problem right now is that I've gotten lazy in my eating because I've discovered I can. I'm still fluctuating on those last 10 pounds. I know WHY. It's the candy at work. It's the lunch meetings when they bring in sandwiches with crusty white rolls and ham ... and I gobble them up. It's the non-stop, stress-related feeding frenzy I'm on when I get home from work ... complete with ice cream on more occasions than I should admit.

It's time to retrain my own brain. It's time to pile up a few better decisions in a row. It's also time to remind myself that this is an every day, for the rest of my life CHOICE, not punishment. The rewards have been and are worth devoting some effort to.