Monday, August 1, 2011

Unexpected Downside of Being Thinner #12

This is hilarious.
I've been getting ear aches. I've never had ear aches before, so I wasn't even sure that the periodic stabbing feeling in my right ear was what one would call an ear ache. It's not debilitating; it's really more bothersome. But it just won't go away and has even woken me up at night a couple of times. So, I decided it was time to go to the doctor.

And guess what I learned?

Ear aches are a side effect of losing weight. Or can be, I guess.

Something to do with your Eustachian tube and how it's supposed to be closed, and when you're fatter, the fat in your head helps keep it closed. And then when you lose weight, you also lose it in your head and then the tube doesn't have the pressure around it to stay closed and that can cause some weird things. (I might have these details a little goofed up, but that's what I understood. After I learned that it wasn't a big deal, and that my eardrum looked fine and there was no swelling or infection, I didn't care too much about the specifics.)

Ibuprofen for now and see if it goes away.

Who'da thunk it?

No comments: