Thursday, January 17, 2013

Win Some, Lose Some

My first trip of the trade show season is over. Eating right and exercising enough are always challenging, no matter how long I've been at this. Here's my scorecard for this trip:

Wins:
  • Took enough Fiber One bars, apples and oranges for "complete" breakfasts every morning, preventing me from eating bad show food.
  • Packed enough snacks (mini ziplocks filled with craisins, almonds, Cheerios, Frosted Mini Wheats, sunflower seeds, wasabi peas and Dove chocolate) to get me through four flights, midnight snacking and booth noshing. 
  • At a vendor dinner, managed to order only a side salad and appetizer crab cake instead of a calorie-laden, too-late-to-eat meal. 
  • Found a little lunch spot that offered fresh fruit and veggie options. 
  • Bought a pass for the fitness center and ran two days. Plus I did a version of Jillian in my room one morning. 
Losses:
  • Enormous portions of nachos, mushroom risotto (that was sooooo freaking good) and Snickers.
  • Too much bread at the too-late-to-eat vendor meal.
  • Paired a delicious veggie burger with a huge pile of sweet potato fries. Whoops. Just because they say sweet potato doesn't cancel out the fact that they're DEEP FRIED.
  • One day with no exercise and a skip this morning, even though I was home, because I was too tired. 
  • Took too many little bags of snacks ... I could have gotten by with less.
  • Did I mention the Snickers?
It wasn't a great trip. I could have done much better. But I didn't totally blow it, either. That's what this is all about. You have to get it right more than you get it wrong. 

No comments: