Sunday, August 25, 2013

Admirable Dedication, Normal Behavior or Sheer Lunacy?

I can't shake this damn cold.

Or maybe it's allergies. Or severe bronchitis. Who knows. I'm treating it as if it could be any of those things: Advil, cough syrup with expectorant and decongestant, OTC allergy tablets, sleep and exercise.

I'm coughing like a crazy person and now it's just pissing me off.

I ran out of cough medicine this morning at 4:30 a.m., much to my husband's chagrin. It was an unpleasant way to start the morning.

So I did what seemed logical when choosing my morning workout.

I biked 10 miles to Walgreen's for more cough syrup. Hacking up a lung the whole way.

Now, let me state, this SEEMED like a good idea at 8 a.m. this morning. As I made the final climb on Noss Road, heading toward home, I had a moment of clarity that contradicted my initial decision.

As such, I walked my bike up the driveway and declared to Jim: "This might not have been the smartest thing I ever did."

He agreed. But was wise enough to not say it out loud.

Do you workout when you're sick? What are the pros and cons? I'd love to know your experience.

The experts views here:
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/exercising-when-sick
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

This is how you get two bottles of cough medicine home from Walgreen's:
one in the water bottle holder and one in a bag, tied to the seat post. 

No comments: