Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How Not To Order Lunch

I had lunch with an old boss on Monday. I had been looking forward to it since we first scheduled it a few weeks ago. I was anxious to hear about his exciting new adventures ... it's living vicariously through someone who had the courage to leave the stability of "Corporate America" to find a new, more fulfilling path.

I was so excited about getting to all of the news, in fact ,so much so that I sort of forgot how to order lunch.

We ended up at a little, local diner. The kind of joint that makes a killer breakfast, has a soup of the day and egg salad on the menu. There's a counter to sit at, homemade pie in a glass case and waitresses who have been working the same sections for 20+ years make small talk with the regulars. Lunch for two is easily under $15.

So did I opt for a salad? No. An egg white omelette with wheat toast? No.

I ordered a club sandwich.

That's right. An EXTRA piece of WHITE bread, bacon, and it came with chips. I had a moment of clarity and ordered it without MAYO, but come on!

By the time it arrived, I had gotten part of my brain back. (It might have been the discussion we had about his upcoming 31-mile trail run/race?) So I sat there and picked the sandwich apart to get rid of at least some of the bread. Not attractive during a "business" lunch.

But I ate all of the bacon.

And I demonstrated remarkable restraint with the chips.

Next time, I'll go with a plain, ol' turkey sammy on whole wheat. It's a much better choice. I'll opt for the clear soup instead of the chips or a side salad, without croutons, cheese and creamy dressing.

It's the little things that add up.

No comments: