Sunday, August 11, 2013

'Fessin Up

Here's the truth:

I didn't ride my bike to work last week, even though my goal was to get it done once a week for the rest of the summer. The weather, after-work activities and "life" just got in the way. Have I rode in twice a couple of times so that it all evens out? Yes. But that's not the point. I didn't get done what I said I'd get done.

I'm eating VERY BADLY. It hasn't been causing me more trouble because I've been trying to stay ahead of it with exercise. But this week, that changed and I'm seeing the effects in my legs, my middle and my boobs. Remember ... you can't out-exercise bad eating. It just doesn't work that way.

I have been spotty with my strength training for the past three weeks. I fell out of the habit/strict schedule and then I just plain forget when it's not part of the routine. As a woman advancing in years and as one with a family history of osteoporosis, I need to make this part of my life. I started back in today. (And I whacked my forehead on the new weight machine. Don't ask. And please don't point at the bump and purple spot tomorrow.)

After pizza Friday, pizza again tonight and more crap than I care to recount, I'm officially back in the saddle again. The truth is I'm not very good at some cheating. At least I'm not good at it right now. And that means I have to go back to strict rules with no straying until things are back in order again.

I am going to have a helper this week, unbeknownst to her. My 9-year-old niece is spending the week and she loves ... you're never going to believe this ... salad and water. I'm counting on her very presence to remind me to back off the Cherry Coke Zero and guide the dinner menu a couple of nights.

Her being here also means that I can't bike into work this week either. There's just no way to get her to gymnastics camp and me to the office that way. But I'll make up for it next Sunday on that 62 mile ride.

I am strong. I am capable. I am going to be a little hungry ...

1 comment: