Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Cheesy-ish Broccoli and Cauliflower

My girl texted last night to say she was coming for dinner. I was so happy to hear it that I didn't give a second thought to the fact that I didn't have any "mom-ish, home-cooked-meal" kind of food in the house.

Somehow, she and Jim are simply not content to eat brussel sprouts, pickles and leftover salmon for supper.

Couple that with the fact that I had R.I.P.P.E.D until 6 p.m., which made getting to the grocery store impossible if we wanted to eat before 8 p.m. (And I NEED to eat before 8 p.m.!), and I had a small conundrum on my hands.

So I finished my class, drove home, flew in the garage, opened the fridge and freezer, stared inside and hoped for divine intervention.

I got it.

Chicken breasts previously grilled  in the freezer! Yay! Toss 'em in the microwave and throw out some farmer's market BBQ sauce and that's a main dish!

Bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower, tub of reduced fat garden cream cheese and real Parmesan ... Ta da! Nuke the veg, throw in a couple of tablespoons of the savory cream cheese and grate some parm on top. Voila! Side dish extraordinaire!

They BOTH said it was delicious.

And I could see how versatile it was ...

Chunk up the chicken and toss it in a skillet with with some mushrooms, onions and the broccoli/cauliflower combo.

Or add some whole wheat pasta and bit more cream cheese.

The truth is ... they ate it all and I didn't get any. Good thing I had the foresight to make some brussel sprouts for me. Yum.

No comments: