Thursday, September 12, 2013

Small, Constant Eats

I'm doing a bit of experimenting with my eating during the day. And so far, I like it.

Normally, I eat my peanut butter bagel and fruit (usually grapes) in the car on my way to work. Then I try not to think about food until noon. Occasionally, that works, but usually it doesn't.

Then at noon, I eat raw veg and something else ... sometimes it's popcorn or a cup of vegetable-based soup. Sometimes it's two hard boiled egg whites or a string cheese or a yogurt. On occasion it's a trip to Subway for a veggie sub on whole wheat or a chopped chicken salad.

And then I try not to think about food again until dinner. Which, again, doesn't work.

In other words, I chew a lot of gum. And drink a lot of Diet Coke.

Here's what I'm doing instead.

Breakfast is the same. I like the routine of eating in the car. (Yes, it puts a lot of crumb in my car. So sue me.)

When I get to work, I put my lunch bag with veg, yogurt and apple in the fridge. I stash some nuts in my desk drawer.

Then I graze all day.

I eat when I get hungry.

Which sounds simple, right? So logical. Can't believe I didn't think of it before.

I usually want something around 9:30 a.m. So I grab a dozen pistachios. When my stomach starts growling at 11:30, I go get my raw veg. That usually keeps me satisfied for a while.

A little while later, I head back to the fridge and grab the yogurt. Walk back to my desk and eat it.

Then around 3 p.m., I remember I have an apple and go get that.

The benefits of this are many:
1. I feel like I'm eating all day long. This makes me happy. But my overall calorie intake is defined/limited.
2. By spacing it out, I give my brain time to figure out that my stomach is full. I feel satisfied longer.
3. I get some extra steps in going back and forth to the break room. It's not a lot, but it gets me off my keister. (This is also the benefit of drinking more ... extra trips to the restroom.)

In fact, it's working so well, that I'm trying a version of it at dinnertime.

How do you eat?


2 comments:

Amber said...

I love this idea! I think I'd still feel like I was supposed to eat lunch. When I'm doing good with my eating I pack a breakfast and lunch and snacks to eat in between if I get hungry. I always have an apple and a yogurt in the fridge.

Amber said...

I love this idea! I think I'd still feel like I was supposed to eat lunch. When I'm doing good with my eating I pack a breakfast and lunch and snacks to eat in between if I get hungry. I always have an apple and a yogurt in the fridge.