Monday, September 23, 2013

I Didn't DNF

I didn't DNF. That's the best I can say about my race. I wanted to DNF. I made up my mind to DNF, but I didn't. I'll give you a better play-by-play tomorrow, but here are the high points:
  • I think I could really like this duathlon format. "Just" running two miles and biking 17 and then running another short two seems so doable. The best finishers did it in just over an hour. It took me two. But now that I understand how it works, I think I could trim some good time off my run and Lord knows my next biking expedition will be better. However, next time I might actually train.  
  • I had a flat. Since I'd never had one before, I didn't recognize what it was at first. Then I heard the unmistakeable Thwap-Thwap-Thwap and knew instantly. All I could think was (cover sensitive ears) F. U. C. K! I was passing people ... I was actually having a good time ... and now I'm done. I figured there was no point in crying, though, and just started walking my bike down the road, waiting for the sag wagon. I think I lost between 20 and 30 minutes overall. I was hoping the guy would just throw my bike in the back of the van and drive me in. But he didn't. He changed my tube and sent me on my way. There was exactly ONE person behind me at that point. One. 
  • I had every intention of just bagging the race, blowing by the transition area and going straight to my car without even attempting the second run. But as I pulled into town, there was a full contingent of course personnel and finishers lining the final leg ... cheering. "You got this! Good job! You're doing great!" they yelled. And I knew right then and there that NOT finishing wasn't an option. If they cared enough to stand there and wait all that time, I had to do my part. So I ran. I didn't run fast. But I ran. And I passed four people. 
There's a few lessons in there somewhere. Among them: Train properly. Learn to change a tube. Carry an extra tube. The race isn't always about the time. Knowing you can just "go do it" on a whim is pretty awesome. 

Oh. And finish. Always finish. 

Did I mention that I got a medal? Top six places in each age group got hardware. I was fourth. 

(Fourth ... out of four. But no one besides you and I need to know that last part, OK?) I'm proud of it just the same. 


No comments: