Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Challenge: Done!

Tomorrow is the final day of our 24-Day Challenge.

Here's what I know:

1. It was a good smack-up-side-the-head, get-on-track reality check for me. It snapped me back into eating right. I've said it before, the eating has been very much like the eating I did when I was actively losing weight ... though the no dairy, no diet soda and no chocolate was a bit MORE restrictive. It's not like I don't know HOW to eat right, but there's something about shelling out a few Benjamins for the program that makes you more determined to actually do it.

2. Supplements ... some I like, some I'm on the fence about. I really like the fish oil/Omega 3 and the protein/amino acid supplement. My knee joints genuinely feel better with the fish oil/Omega 3 and Jim's shoulder feels great. The protein just makes me feel better, though I'm not sure why. I'm also not so sure I feel the effect of the energy drink, though Jim digs it.

3. I had trouble with the fiber/cleanse drink and the timing of the Phase 2 vitamin packs. The fiber drink was just a mind-over-matter deal. Yeah, it's going to be a bit gross, but you just gotta slam it. And the vitamin packs had to be taken 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before lunch. I don't wear a watch and I eat lunch at my new job when I have time ... so I admit to not hitting it right every day. I just took them when I remembered.

4. I like having the meal replacement shakes around and bought extra to have on hand. Jim takes them in the truck ... you just need a bottle of water and you're done. They fill you up, get you to your next meal without stomach growling and taste pretty OK.

5. I like that we did it together. It made the whole thing easier.

6. Contrary to popular belief, there was no caffeine withdrawal. No headaches. And I don't feel different with all the "fake" stuff out of my body. I am craving bubbles. (For the record, I have not had a soda the entire time and I want you to be proud of me!)

7. I also did not lose my appetite for sweets and crunch. I still want them plenty. (For the record. take 2 ... I have not cheated with a single square of Dove either!)

8. I did not execute to perfection. I had a derailment at a potluck birthday party gathering. It wasn't awful, but it was off. And I also wandered last weekend in Chicago. I had too much red wine Saturday night. And I ate Garrett's popcorn and a few other "group meal" no-no's because that was all there was available. I did the best I could without making a production of bringing my own food or asking for special considerations. For instance, I ended up at a table with the event planner/corporate HR head at the fancy dinner, and had to make an attempt at the delicious chocolate dessert, in order to not offend. Literally. I'm new, he was raving about it, I had to eat some of it. I ate about half ... which I thought showed amazing restraint.

9. I lost some weight. I haven't weighed myself this week, but as of last week, I was down 7 pounds. My pants fit better. Jim has taken his belt in a notch or two. I feel leaner.

10. I didn't poop all over the place! I was so worried about that. But we both think we pee more and I think my pee is greenish. A quick internet search says this can be caused by eating veggies like asparagus or taking a lot of vitamins. If it persists, I'll worry, though I suspect it won't.

11. I'm not sure Jim followed all of the instructions to a T, but he did make an effort. And he saw some results ... his clothes are fitting better and his always-hurting shoulder feels pretty good (Omega 3). He's most surprised about the shoulder thing. He says it wasn't too hard to follow.

12. I missed dairy. I don't drink milk much, but I like cheese and sour cream and yogurt. In moderation, I don't think these are "bad" foods and I don't think I'll avoid them in the future.

13. This plan forced me to limit carbs. That was good.

14. We ate a LOT of eggs. A LOT. More egg whites than yolks, but a LOT of eggs either way.

15. I'm off my every-day-dose of Aleve, now taking only as needed after long runs or high heel days. I'm also not taking my sleepy medicine (OTC serotonin or melatonin or whatever that is) nearly as much. I think that was a psychological habit in the first place, but I'm glad it's gone. Though, I suppose, it could be related to the caffeine? No, there's caffeine in the energy drink mix, so I'm still getting caffeine, even late at night.

16. I'm glad we did it. I'm happy it's over. And I might do it again if I feel a little out of control.


No comments: