Friday, January 3, 2014

HIIT Me Baby, One More Time

I don't know if you've heard, but it's cold outside.

(Man! I kind of wish they'd quit talking about it because the more they talk about it, the more freaked out I get.)

And because it's cold ... and snowy ... and icy ... and WINDY, I'm obviously not running outside. I'm hitting the trusted treadmill in the basement.

But as many of you know, once you're accustomed to running outside, it can be hard ... as in BORING ... to run on the treadmill.

Did you know it's a scientifically proven fact that if you watch the timer on your treadmill, the world starts spinning slower and the length of time you know as "one minute" takes approximately 10 minutes to transpire? It's true. Google it.

So, I've decided to switch it up.

I'm doing intervals. Working on my speed. Dreaming of spring.

While I'm still doing the usual 4-5 miles, I'm not running at a steady 5.5 - 5.8 mph as I normally would. I'm alternating a half-mile's worth of 7.0 with a walking 4.5. Then going at a 6.5, slowing to 5.5, before walking again, then firing back up to 7.2 for a quarter mile.

I'm using distances ... half mile, quarter mile, whole mile occasionally ... to manage my intervals. But you could also manage them by time. Run a minute, walk a minute, run a minute even faster, walk a minute, run three minutes at a medium pace. You get the picture. You can find dozens of sample plans by searching on "interval training" or "interval running."

The switches are good for my brain and the time seems to go faster. Keeping your body "guessing" is also good for the post-workout calorie burn, raises your metabolism, increases your speed, increases your aerobic capacity and more. (See this SHAPE magazine article about High Intensity Interval Training http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-benefits-high-intensity-interval-training-hiit)

What I like most about it is that I feel energized when I'm done. There's something about doing those "fast" bursts that fire me up. It's a much different feeling from the occasional self-torture mode of pounding out 4 miles at a steady, monotonous pace. The intervals are more of a game ... my head says I'm going to conquer this little, fast challenge.

If my brain is happy AND my butt is happy, how can this be bad?


No comments: