Sunday, January 5, 2014

Not-So-Uplifting Words

In an effort to pretend that 20 below zero wasn't a coming reality, we hit an indoor waterpark in the Dells this weekend. In tow, my husband, mom, sister, brother-in-law and two nieces.

(And, yes, we carried in more luggage than is typically required for a a week-long, bi-coastal, multi-climate adventure ... but that's another story. I'm totally counting it as a strength workout.)

We were lucky that when we arrived three hours before official check in, one of our two rooms was available and we could drop off all of the crap, jump in our bathing attire, and hit the slides.

Now, I admit that I still get a little anxious when I have to don a swimming suit and parade around in front of a bunch of people. Lots less terrified than I used to be, but still not totally comfortable. To make matters worse, rumor had it that the high school basketball team from my hometown would be staying in the same hotel ... which meant the PARENTS of the high school basketball team could also be there. And at my age, those parents are people I went to high school with ... and you get my moment of hesitation, right?

So, I jump into my red one-piece with a rather plunging neckline and am getting ready to leave the room when my oldest niece says something along the lines of, "Why are your boobs so deflated?"

Talk about a potential confidence killer.

Thankfully, I am able to laugh and fully appreciate her honesty. It's a teachable moment.

"Look," I say, "the truth is someday your little perky self will look like tennis-ball-in-a-tube-sock woman, too. This is what happens when you get old and lose weight. But check this out."

And then I start flexing my newly developed chest muscles for her.

She was thoroughly grossed out.

Win, Auntie Daisy.



P.S. I also just had my annual mammogram and received the "all clear" letter. This is your reminder to get yours done, too. This must be the easiest life-saving test we take ... I swear, the whole shooting match took 5 minutes, tops. Schedule yours NOW!

No comments: