Sunday, January 26, 2014

I Haven't Told Anyone

Whew. Finally back from Chicago. What a whirlwind weekend! The occasion was a 2015-2017 strategic planning session for my new company and its sister companies from across the country and world. (Hello, Vietnam and Ireland ... gotta figure out how to "need" a trip to visit their operations, right?) It was combined with a 40th anniversary party for our parent company.

All of this meant leaving work Thursday at noon and we hit the ground running: a cocktail reception Thursday night, meetings Friday, cocktails/dinner at the Museum of Science + Industry, more meetings Saturday, Phantom of the Opera matinee, Saturday night cocktail hour complete with an ice sculpture and oysters, lovely 40th anniversary dinner and, last but not least, the all-bets-are-off-work-stuff-is-done-drinks-are-still-free-and-people-are-loose party after the dinner back in the cocktail room.

This morning it occurred to me.

Never once in this new job, not during last week's trip to Florida, not during the few days I had in the office this week and not during these past few days have I mentioned to anyone that I used to be bigger.

They don't know. Not one of them.

They only know this me.

They've noticed my little Ziploc bags of raw vegetables in meetings and at lunch. They've poked me pretty hard for passing up dessert when we're at a meal together. They know I run in the morning before work. They've seen me taking my goofy little vitamin packs.

The new me used to feel like an impostor somehow.

I think I'm officially over it.

No comments: