Monday, January 6, 2014

I'm Taking a 24-Day Challenge

... and This is Day 1!

I don't know about you, but after the holidays, I'm feeling a bit out of control. Off the rails. Spinning.

While I have kept up with my workouts, my eating is just waaaaaaaaaayyy off target.

So, in an effort to get back on track, I've decided to try a "pre-packaged" program that will help me re-set my system.

In a nutshell, the program cuts calories by requiring VERY clean eating, managing the "when" to eat as well as the what to both feed muscles and stoking up the metabolic furnace and then supplements the clean eating with some Omega 3 and probiotics ... and, drumroll, please ...

... a "cleanse" element.

(Seriously, is there an uglier word than "cleanse?")

Yes. Cleanse. As in fiber. To get the old gastrointestinal tract cleaned out, shined up, greased and lubed.

(I hope you're not eating dinner.)

The rules are fairly strict. I'm giving up some of the things I dearly love ... like candy. And most dairy. And sourdough pretzels.

And Cherry Coke Zero! (Did you just gasp? I know! I am having a hard time imagining this, too. Repeat after me ... it's only 24 days. It's only 24 days. It's only 24 days.)

The reality is that the eating isn't really that different from my very early weight loss days following the Mediterranean Food Pyramid. We all know if you want to lose weight, you have to stop eating crap (empty calories from processed, salt- and sugar-filled faux foods); white flour; stuff that's fried; chemicals like fake sugar. And you have to eat real food: protein; lean meats; fruits; limited whole grains; nutrient-dense vegetables (peas and corn don't count as veggies). Oh, and you have to eat less and move more. You know, burn more than you consume. Simple math and all that.

But what I like about this program is there's a "list" for me to follow ... what to eat and when to eat it. I am viewing it as fine tuning or maximizing the concept of clean eating and exercise. A jump start, if you will. A great way to start the new year. And because I have Jim doing it with me, along with some friends, I feel accountable to them and won't cheat.

Or at least I hope I won't.

And, for the record, the fiber drink is not nearly as delicious as this:


I am keeping that can in my fridge and I'm going to look at it every single day. On day 25, I just might wake up early to drink it.

P.S. Both the can of Hershey syrup and the jar of olives are hideously past their "Best By" dates. Someone should clean that damn shelf. And the others, no doubt. There's probably some 3-year-old mustard in the door, too.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Good luck!! I've read a lot of blogs where they've done the same challenge and had great success. Hope you took before pics and measurements!!

HR GIRL said...

Cleanse......fiber......Cottonellle!

Good luck!

Miss Daisy said...

I'm not going into it expecting to lose weight/inches ... though it would be nice if that happened. (And, honestly, how can it not when you cut out all the "wrong" food and cut calories?) I really just need to get the carb-addiction calmed down and get back into a better eating habit. I wasn't able to get myself to do it ... so I thought the "pressure" of a group would help. And, yes, HR GIRL, I'm fully stocked for the coming deluge, though the program promises that it won't be a firehose/waterslide experience.

marthamac said...

Any time I hear 'cleanse', it scares me. I hope it goes okay. It's awesome that Jim is joining you. Having a partner in 'crime' always helps. I do hope you have a little wiggle room for dinner with a friend during those 24 days!!! ;)