Tuesday, September 23, 2014

First, You Climb a Mountain ...

Once upon a time there was this guy. He was 48. And he decided it was time to climb a mountain.

So he went out west, Colorado I think, and found a 14er ... you know, a mountain that is 14,000 feet tall.

And he climbed it.

As the story goes, ended up meeting some other folks while on his trek and got to the summit with them. They were surprised at his lack of camera and took a photo with him in it so he had something to remember the trip by.

Of course, he didn't need the photo. He had something better.

Addiction. Or call it "the bug." Adrenaline rush, maybe.

When I talked to him a while after he returned home, he was still completely buzzed. He wanted to do it again.

He did, of course. This past summer. I'm guessing he was a bit more prepared the second time around. Maybe he carried more water. Maybe he had better shoes.

But I'm sure he didn't look like a Professional Climber. I'm guessing he didn't have the priciest high-tech gear and he didn't follow a formal training plan. I'm sure he didn't have a sherpa.

Because he's not like that. He just wanted to see if he could do it. So he did.

This same guy is trying something new this weekend.

He's going to go do an Olympic Triathlon. It's his first race of any kind ever. The race he's chosen features a 1000-yard swim (a little more than a half-mile), a 27-mile bike ride and a 6-mile run.

He's never run 6 miles before. He's certainly never run 6 after biking 27 after swimming 1000 yards. But he's done enough of these things to know he can get it done.

"If I get tired, I'll walk," he said, in that unassuming way he has.

Has he trained? Of course, He's been swimming at the Whitewater Aquatic Center. He's been biking and running in his neighborhood. He even bought bike shorts, but that's about as far as he's willing to go.

Why start with something so big, I ask. Why not try a Sprint-length tri first ... where you swim a 1/4 to 1/2 mile distance, bike 12-13 miles and run a 5K?

"I know I can do that. So why start with something I know I can do? It should be a challenge," he said.

I can't even tell  you how much I love this.

And I can't wait for him to see the "professionals" who show up on race day, all geared up and strutting around like this event is the biggest thing that ever happened in their life, talking loudly about how they shaved 9 seconds off their transition times last weekend.

You know, the guys that shave their legs so they have less drag in the water.

It's going to crack my friend up.

Because in the end, he's going to go just as far and get just as much out of it as they are.

In fact, I'm willing to bet he's going to have more fun, too.

(You go, Super Doug! Can't tell you  how much I wish I could be there to cheer you on.)


No comments: