Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Favorite Vacation Food

There was so much good stuff to eat. Here are a couple of my favorites and how I think you might make them.

As you know, I'm not exactly a chef. So I'm guessing at ingredients. And since we haven't yet been grocery shopping ... and are therefore eating weird combinations of things from the freezer so far this week ... I haven't had a chance to make them to experiment. But cooking is just trial and error, so I figure I'll get you part of the way there and you can taste your way to your own recipe.

Caprese Salad
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Mozzarella or Mexican panela cheese, cubed
Olive oil
Dried Mexican oregano
Fresh or dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Zucchini Salad
Zucchini, cubed
Fresh mozzarella or Mexican panela cheese, cubed
Baby corn
Olive oil or canola oil
Oregano
Basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Watermelon Con Chile
Sliced watermelon
Dust with Chile powder

Cantaloupe and Goat Cheese
Cantaloupe
Goat cheese
Cracker or toast or thin piece of ham

Wrap or pile. Eat.

Shrimp Ceviche
Here's a recipe from Allrecipes.com that looks similar to what I had. I think mine did not have avocado and might have included a firm, white fish instead. It was like pico de gallo with shrimp in it. Good to dip chips in or on its own.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/joses-shrimp-ceviche/Detail.aspx

Pan de Chocolate
Frozen puff pastry
Dove dark chocolate
Egg wash

Cut puff pastry into squares. Roll a piece of dark chocolate inside of it. Brush tops with egg wash. Bake according to package directions. Indulge.

No comments: