Monday, February 28, 2011

Picture This

Today was a crappy eating day. I had an all-day meeting that started with donuts (which I avoided), moved into an Italian carb-fest lunch and featured candy galore throughout. On top of that, I drank four Diet Cokes.

By the time I got home, I had literally been eating for eight straight hours and figured the day was shot. So ... I continued eating with raw veggies, a pork taco, grapes, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella salad and fresh fruit. Nothing horrible, just a LOT of it.

Jim got home and wanted to hit the basement to hang more drywall. I offered to help, thinking this would be a way to get away from the refrigerator. I figured I could turn it into a workout somehow.

Now, I need you to picture this in your mind's eye. When I got home from work, I had put on my pj's. They're like long johns. Waffle weave. Red top, gray bottoms with red and white flowers. And I have on brown socks. I add my new "high-heeled," butt-sculpting tennis shoes to get the most bang for my buck.

It's definitely a look.

My job in the drywall process is to work the drywall lift, tell Jim if he's going to hit the stud with the screw gun and question everything he's doing. Jim's job is to climb up and down the ladder 500 times, measure and cut, operate the screw gun and assure me that he's doing everything right.

In between my responsibilities, there's a lot of time to kill. So I start marching around the basement in an effort to burn some of those extra carb calories. Jim shakes his head. Then I find hand weights and add that to my repertoire. Now I'm marching and performing my version of bad 1980's aerobics as Jim hustles up and down the ladder.

He's working. I'm talking and exercising. Making up new moves and watching my reflection in the patio doors. Knees higher! Bicep curls! Toe touches! Punch it out! Dancing to music that's playing only in my head!

He finally looks at me, laughs, and and says, "THAT is why I love you."

(And, for the record, on top of all the marching, I got a mile in on the treadmill, along with bench presses and a good upper body workout. So I looked like a dork ... so what? Not the first time that's happened and it won't be the last.)

No comments: