Sunday, November 17, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 16

Just to catch you up ...

New Runner is getting used to running in the cold (layers!) and is at the point in the C25K program where she is running a total of 2 miles. She's battled a cold, daylight savings (hitting the road before it gets too dark), and now has a new speed bump in the way.

NEW RUNNER: I had a hard time with my 2 miles today ... with a break in the middle. To start ... my husband work me up early to tell me it was not raining YET and if I wanted to get out and run, I'd better get up. (Thanks, honey!) It was misty. Sort of yucky. But out I went.

I just can't seem to get to that 2 mile point ... even with the break in the middle. I have tried repeating a day of the program. The next time out I am supposed to run 2.25 miles, no stopping. I don't get it. I feel so good when I head out, but when I hit the 1-mile mark, I peter out. And it's not because I'm running too fast. I'm looking for suggestions to help my stamina.

MISS DAISY: TWO MILES! TWO FREAKING MILES! You are RUNNING TWO MILES! First of all, that's awesome. (And I know you're saying, "With a break in the middle ..." as if that doesn't count. It counts. You're running two miles.) Be proud of that and celebrate it!

To run farther, you just have to run more. It sounds so simple, but that's the real truth. I think it's great that you repeated a day. That makes perfect sense to me. But before you say you "can't" do it, think about this:

Don't let your HEAD run your body. You CAN get over that 2-mile point. You absolutely CAN. When you're ready to stop, just add one more minute. You won't die. Or even pass out. Or if you don't want to add a minute, add 50 steps. Or 100. Or just get to the next road sign. Or recite the states in alphabetical order. Do something to take your mind off your watch/C25K program playing in your ears.

And think about how your body is perfectly capable of doing this. If you're "fit" enough to run 2 miles, you're fit enough to run 2.25. The truth is, you're probably fit enough to run 3.0 -- and would if someone was chasing you. It's so hard to be your own cheerleader when you're out there by yourself. But that's part of the game. Running is only partially in your legs and in your lungs. Much of it is between your ears. Your brain is the hardest muscle to train, remember?

I took my niece out for a "training run" on Saturday. We did about 3.25 miles. She wants to run hard, then gets tired and walks. I wanted to keep a slow, steady pace. So what I started doing for her was ask her to set the walk/run distances before we changed pace. Example: She'd say, "I need to walk." I'd say, "Keep running until you tell me where we're going to start walking and where we're going to start running again." And she'd pick the spots. That way she was in "control" and that gave her a little confidence. (Small, achievable goals.)

Then, toward the end when she was tired, she picked a really short distance to run. I let her start and then part-way there, I said, "Think you can get to that stop sign?" She said she could (never back down from a challenge!) and then as we got close to it, I asked her if she could make it to the next one. The whole way, I'm telling her what a great job she's doing and reminding her that it's only about 40 sidewalk squares to the end ... "How many do you think there are? Count'em!" ... anything to get her mind off how tired she is.

She's 11 years old and easy to "fool/encourage." But when you have someone in your ear telling you what a good job you're doing, it helps so much. That's why people run with friends. When you're on your own like you are, you have to be that cheerleader for yourself. You have to think of all the things that DON'T hurt or how proud you are of yourself or whatever ... to keep you going.

Think you can come up with some cheerleader skills? :-)


No comments: