Friday, November 29, 2013

Three Things I Learned in Zumba

Yes, me with the two left feet ... I went to Zumba this morning. As long as I was already awake for the 5:30 a.m. Girls Got Grit Friday group, I figured I might as well hit Peggy's 7:15 a.m. Zumba class on the same side of town. In for a penny, in for a pound or something like that.

(Well, that and since I ate more than my fair share of calories yesterday ... the best of which was oddly not the sliver of cherry pie and a sliver of French Silk, but the yeasty rolls from Sam's Club ... it seemed like a good idea to burn a few extra on what is normally my "day off" of exercise.)

I had to wonder, "Who is this woman?" as I walked into St. William's gym. I was about to dance in front of a group of women I'd never met before, wearing workout clothes and bed head. This is not like me. At all.

I settled into the back row and set my chin. Off we went.

Here's what I learned:
  1. I don't have what was referred to as Meringue Hips. 
  2. It's good to have an older lady and a spitfire in front of you. The older lady reminds you that you simply MUST make enough effort to out-do her since she's 20 years older than you. And the hoppy, jumpy spitfire inadvertently taunts you ... "Pick it up, Lazy Ass. You don't have to look like Peggy to be good at this." 
  3. The "packaging" of exercise fads might change, but the basics are the same as they have always been. Want your butt to look better? Do butt lifts and leg lifts and get on your hands and knees and kick out behind you. Want your abs to look better? Do crunches in any configuration you can think of. Chest? Push-ups. Add some zippy fiesta music with people yelling "Arriba," and it's Zumba. Give the instructor fatigues and a whistle and it's boot camp. Hip hop? R.I.P.P.E.D. 
It was fun. I wasn't good, and because I concentrated a bit too much on getting the steps right, I didn't get my heart rate as high as I do in R.I.P.P.E.D. But I bet my sister would be awesome at it.

She has, as they say, Meringue Hips.

I am pretty sure I looked exactly like this. You can see how coordinated I am, even in a still photo. Oh, and my abs look like that, too. 

No comments: