Monday, December 2, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 18

We are at two weeks and counting. Well, actually 12 days and counting. And New Runner is still worried that she might not be able to do this. (Even though we know she can.) See the difference a few days can make ...

NEW RUNNER ON NOV. 27: FINALLY got outside to run today. Dressed in MANY layers, and stayed warm. I have to say, I am not good in the cold weather. Took several breaks to walk for a bit. Frustrating. My total time/mileage was 2.5, but I probably only ran about 2.25. Ugh!!! 

I ran a different path due to the snowy roads on my usual route. Went on the bike trail that begins just south of the city limits, then continues in town. It was clear of snow and ice. I did like that it had no hills and most of it was without an 'audience.' The hard part for me was to keep going where there was a lot of traffic. Somehow, I hoped my sunglasses prevented people from knowing who I was. I'm looking forward to a few warmer days this weekend so I can get outside and do this!

I had an appointment with my OB/GYN today. She congratulated me on my weight loss and running. She said she could tell right away that I was healthier and thinner. That made my day! 

I'm going to need a major push to get to 3 miles in 2 weeks. Yikes! I'm feeling doubtful ... I know I'm almost there ... but it seems like it's almost unreachable. I think we need to look for cute jingle bling ... maybe that will help??

MISS DAISY: You are going to be fine. I promise! If we run, we run. If we take a break, we take a break. The cool thing about all of this is that you learn that the race isn't really about the race at all. The race is the "victory lap." The training is the hard work. And by race day, you've already done that! I can't wait! Just praying it isn't 20 below 0 or a wet, sloppy blizzard! 

(And, as your OB/GYN said in perhaps not so many words ... you've already won because you're healthier now than you were and you found something that you like to do and that you can continue to do. I love it! And I hope you're taking a little time to look yourself in the eyes in the mirror and tell yourself how proud of you you are.)

NEW RUNNER ON DEC. 1: So, I ran Friday on the bike trail again. It was almost as pathetic as Wednesday's run. I didn't even want to admit it, but, I didn't think that I could really make it to the 5K ... I was ready to give up and throw in the towel. I was frustrated, mad at myself and my body for not allowing me to do what I really wanted to do.

And then, today happened.

Today was different!!! I ran my regular route and it felt so good! Right before my you're-half-way-there mark, I took a small break to walk a few steps and catch my breath. When the C25K program woman gave me the 'half way' signal, I decided that I was going to try to make it all the way to the end.

And I DID IT!!!!!!! The last little bit wasn't pretty, I'm sure, but I did it! Compared to where I was feeling a couple of days ago, I am on top of the world! Now, this is only 2.5 miles. I need to get to 3 in 2 weeks!!! Today, I'm feeling like I can actually do it! I am really hoping the rain stays away this week because I have a really busy schedule and I need it to be nice.

Maybe it just took two really crummy days to equal one good one. At this point, I'll take what I can get. Maybe the scale will thank me too! 

MISS DAISY: It would be nice if it got easier as we get stronger. But some days just aren't easy. And sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it. You think you got enough sleep, ate well, put your head in the right place ... and it still just doesn't go well. But you keep running anyway because the only way to get to a "good run" is to get through the "bad run." In fact, I think the bad runs make us stronger. 

It's time to start telling yourself that you got this. Because you do. 


1 comment:

New Runner said...

You are the best!!! Thanks for pumping me up and holding me accountable! Us 'blogsters' are so lucky there's you! Can't wait 'til the 14th!!!