Sunday, December 8, 2013

New Runner, Chapter 19

(We are one week out from the Jingle Bell 5K to benefit arthritis. The weather looks OK. Not great, but OK. I'm hoping for no wind and no wet. The weather has really sort of sucked this past week to run outside ... let's see what New Runner has decided to do about that.)

NEW RUNNER: Well, I did something yesterday that I didn't really want to. I joined the local gym. I really hate exercising in front of other people. I realized that winter running in temps that are in the teens, as well as rain and snow, is something that I just can't tolerate. So ... I have assumed my daughter's membership while she is away at college.

I was actually nervous. Years ago, I went to the gym religiously. I was the Queen of the Elliptical. Now, I have my own, and don't need to go. That was great until I started running. The elliptical isn't running ... nothing like it.


So, in I went at 7:30 on a Friday night and I felt like a fish out of water. I chose the treadmill way on the end so that people couldn't see me through the window from the parking lot. I got my Pandora all ready, set my C25K program and off I went. I turned on the TV, but didn't really watch it. 

I was so conscious of if I was breathing loudly, jiggling wildly, or just looking ridiculous, that before long, I realized I had been running for a really long time. I was expecting the program to say, "You're half way," at any second. But I didn't hear anything. And, yes, I checked my phone and the darn program stopped ... again. GGRR!!! 

When I looked at the treadmill, I had run 1.5 miles already and was actually feeling pretty good. (VERY slow pace, might I add.) What is a good pace? I felt that I was probably just over 'fast walking'.

I continued at that pace until the treadmill said I had gone 2.25 miles, and I was actually really, really tired. Sweaty, and tired. Thankfully, I brought a towel! I slowed down to a walking pace for 5 minutes to cool down, then cleaned the machine and left. (Actually, before I walked out the door, I ran into a former student ... that was awkward! Sweaty, in my workout clothes, and feeling just lovely. He said he hardly recognized me. Gee, I wonder why!?)
For a first treadmill experience as a 'runner', it wasn't as bad as people told me it would be. Other than the social awkwardness, it was actually okay.  
Only one week til race day. I still need to go .75 further! I think I can do it!!!
MISS DAISY: Where there is a will, there is a way! It's fantastic that you found a way to keep going in spite of weather that has been doing everything to stop you. That's commitment! 
Let's face it. Life is rarely schedulable and perfect. It's easy to sit on the couch or stay in bed and say, "I just don't have time." Or, "My day is too busy.." Or, "My-hamstrings-are-too-sore-My-kids-won't-let-me-I can't-The-planets-are-not-in-alignment-It's-too-hard."
But when you have a goal and your head is truly committed to it, you have a Plan B when Plan A can't work. And a Plan C. And maybe a Plan D. Let's face it. No one in the whole world cares if you work out and eat right. This is your promise to yourself. And when you don't find a way, the only one you're lying to, the only one you're disappointing is yourself.
It just feels so much better when you find a way to keep that promise to yourself.
And did anyone else notice what New Runner said at the end there? She's no longer doubting herself. Just .75 miles more to go ... and we all know she can do it.
As for pace, there is NO RULE! You go as fast as you can. It's YOUR run. Today I ran indoors at a 5.6 mph rate ... about an 11 minute mile. When I first started running indoors, I ran in the 4.5 mph range. In my first half marathon, I maintained a pace of over 6 mph or 9.6 minute miles (and where the hell that came from, I'm still not sure). When I run outside on a good day, I average 10 minute miles pretty consistently or 6 mph. My brother-in-law would call all of those insanely slow. Kenyan marathoners do 26.2 miles at under 5 minutes per mile ... or 12 mph. 
Every single treadmill measures differently. There's play in every app for your phone. In the end, IT DOESN'T MATTER! It's YOUR run and you get to do it however you want.
And if you're running 8 minute miles, you're going to have to wait for me and my niece at the finish line next Saturday!

No comments: